Monday, March 16, 2009

Interview with last week's #tpt winner SteveBrogan

Interview with Stephen Brogan

Share with us a little about who you are?

I am a 61 year old husband, father of two sons, and grandfather of two granddaughters and one grandson. For the past twenty years, up until December 2006, I was employed in the high tech industry first as a business programmer and then as a system administrator. My hobbies include reading, poker and enjoyment of the outdoors. Now I assist my wife Diane as a computer and image technician (photoshop) for some of the products that we produce for http://www.brogan-arts.com (shameless business plug).

When did you start playing poker?

I actually started playing poker as a teenager with my parents, uncles, aunts, and cousins at an early age. I started playing Texas Holdem poker in late 2006, catching the bug as the result of watching the World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel.

What is your favorite poker game? Why?

My favorite game is Omaha High/Low. There is so much strategy about the game; trying to scoop up the whole pot, being able to use two hole cards to make the high hand and two hole cards to make the low hand. It is a game that requires you to make your best efforts quickly in deciding if you can win it all.

Do you play in many poker tournaments? Is so, where?

I actually don't play many tourneys as a rule. So far, the #TPT and the #CPL are the tourneys that I have played the most in. I used to play the Railbirds.com freerolls but that took a lot of time and effort with a small rate of return for my efforts. It was fun, but, tiring.

What is the most valuable poker lesson you've ever learned?

Patience. Patience. Patience.

Did you have a strategy when you play the #tpt?

My current strategy is to play a tight but aggressive game. I keep myself aware of position relative to the button and who is at the table and their tendencies.

Were there any hands that you recall in the #tpt which were key to you winning?

Obviously, the last hand was the best I have ever had in a tourney. I spiked a straight flush to end it. I also had pocket Kings twice, which crushed my opponents both times that I held them. My good cards allowed me to more easily play back when others were also being aggressive.

Do you have any poker goals?
Yes, this year I would like to play in cash games about 20/25 hours a week, profitably, and continue to do so as a "semi-pro" . I have a bankroll to manage and I am working out the details of what games to play, what times to play them, and how to play them. And of course, another first place finish or two at the "Twitter Poker Tour" is also one of my goals.

Continuing education is a big part of being able to accomplish my goals. I plan to read and reread many of the 30 plus poker books that I own, including yours, "Tournament Poker: 101 Winning Moves". There are online courses, videos, and training that I use as well. There are also the television show such as "High Stakes Poker", World Poker Tour, that gives me some ideas of what could be done. Any time I am stuck, reading some of my books has helped me to become unstuck.


Thanks for taking the time to be interviewed. Congratulations again on your win! I will try to stay out of your way the next time we play.

No comments:

What's Your Poker IQ?