Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Recommended Tournament Poker List

Yesterday I received an email from a poker player asking me for a recommended list of tournament poker books. My list is only four books long.

The first two books are about the basics and most often mentioned in any poker list:

1. Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. 1: Strategic Play by Dan Harrington
Dan Harrington wrote this breakthrough tournament book a few years ago and it's still an essential read. This first volume tends to deal with situations early in an event when blinds are small and chip stacks are high. It provides a sound approach to tournament strategy.

2. Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. 2: Endgame by Dan Harrington
After you read Volume I, you will want to get Volume as it talks about how to play after the early stages of an event. Here you will learn about inflection points and the mighty M, so you can calculate when to move all-in It is a reasoned approach to poker tournaments.

This next book is a must if you want to think about being a winner. It takes Harrington to the next level. I was told that Erick actually wrote his book by talking it on the phone. I don't know if that's true or not.

3. Making the Final Table (World Poker Tour) by Erick Lindgren
This is a book that has never received the accolades it deserves. Erick is another big winner and he gives you great advice by revealing how he approaches the game. His approach is not about cashing, it's about winning.

Finally, this is must book to own since it really is Erick's thinking put into action. It is my favorite poker book on no limit poker in 2008 that I didn't author.

4. Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen
This is a winning book written by arguably the best no limit tournament player. In this book, Gus analyzes every hand he plays on his way to winning a major tournament--the Aussie Millions in 2007. It is insightful, smart and eye-opening to read how a champion thinks through every decision.

I actually took Gus Hansen's book and reviewed his playing style to make it easier to learn from his game:

Tournament Poker How Tos

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would also include your book as several of your winning moves have helped me win some small live tournaments.

best poker tournaments said...

Everey hand revealed was realy a revation for me (and it's not a ply of word). Being in the mind of such an agressive player as Gus hansen and seing that in fact his game was in reality really controled and thought was very very usefull. It changed my approach of poker tournament games.

What's Your Poker IQ?