Monday, February 23, 2009

How Do You Overcome Going Card Dead?

Sunday at the Oaks

At the Sunday tournament, I was on the big blind for $160. A player in early position raised to $500. A player on the button called. I looked down and found 6-7 offsuit. What would you do?

The pot had $1,240, and it was going to cost me $340 to call. Not bad pot odds.

I looked at the stacks. I had $5,000, the raiser only had about $2,000, and the player on the button had $7,000. Since the stack of the caller was deep, and the pot odds were good I called.

The flop 7-6-3 with a flush draw. The raised moved all-in. The caller just called. There was now about $5,240. I moved all in, and the caller folded. I won a big pot.

My opponents told me I was wrong to call with 7-6. Of course, they are wrong.

I won a few more hands and was up to about $11,000.

Moved To A New Table

We were down from 140 to 70 players. I got moved to a new table.

Players were moving all-in every hand since the blinds were increasing and they only had $3,000-$4,000 in chips. I never had a hand. I went card dead.

I never had a shot at just a pre-flop raise since players in front of me were pushing all the time. It was a bummer.

As the game got down to 50 players, I was down to $4,000 and the blinds were $800-$1,600. A desperate player moved all-in. A tight player moved all-in. I found K-Q suited.

My thinking: Maybe this is the time to make a bad play at the right time? The first player I put on any Ace, and the second player I figured for pocket Jacks or 10's, maybe Aces, since I had a K and Q.

I called. The first player had A-7, but the second player had pocket Kings. I was out.

Your Suggestions:


My question:

What do you do when you go card dead in a poker tournament?

No comments:

What's Your Poker IQ?